Tuesday 26 July 2011

Wood box

The wood box was made to stop the accumulation of cardboard boxes with wood in them that we had previously.  We are still getting our wood from the dump as it is free and we are saving every cent towards owning land somewhere.  As a result of the dump wood, we had to keep it somewhere and cardboard boxes don't last long when holding heavy wet wood, especially when left outside.

So then came the wood box idea, we planned to keep all the wood in the garage or under the house and use a fisheries crate to transport it to the box so the box had to be big enough to hold at least a fisheries container stacked up high and probably more.

We ended up finding all the wood in one trip to the dump, someone had replaced all their decking or perhaps siding off something, it was pretty rough looking but we only needed a box that would keep the wood off the floor and look better than a cardboard box.  After getting the wood home and de-nailing it I discovered some of it was unusable but there seemed to be enough to do the job.

I only have a video of the box prior to varnishing, I didn't take pictures during the build unfortunately.


This was the first wood I had tried using mitred corners and it looks good enough for my first try.  I think next time I would check my angle more often as it drifted off slightly over the course of cutting everything.

After I had everything cut I went over it with a power plane and it immediately looked fantastic, then after a little assembly and varnish I made the lid so that we could cover it up during summer.  I had run out of the original wood for the lid so it doesn't match at all, I am still keeping an eye out for something that I might be able to use to replace it that would look better with the box.


No comments:

Post a Comment